Wednesday, May 16, 2012

More Precise Hair Care

Although I have been treating my hair with love and weekly pampering treatments for much of my life I was stunned what this treatment may be doing to me. I am not an expert nor have I researched this claim thoroughly, however I am enough of a health nut that even if sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is an urban legend I am now further committed to avoid chemicals as much as I can.

So when vaclib.org describes SLS, one common carcinogen which was in my health store shampoo as a 
"skin irritant. It is rapidly absorbed and retained in the eyes, brain, heart, and liver, which may result in harmful long-term effects. SLS could retard healing, cause cataracts in adults, and keep children's eyes from developing properly. In fact, studies have shown that washing your hair one time with a shampoo containing Sodium Lauryl Sulfate could put as many nitrates into your bloodstream as eating a whole pound of bacon. And that is just ONE application."
I decided to finally take the plunge and find a better hair care treatment. And my hair has only gotten better. I have wavy-to-curly hair which I like to wear naturally. I have tried many different natural products which left my hair flat and limp. I finally found one that meets my high standards. The sea buckthorn shampoo and shine on hair conditioner leaves my hair full and bouncy. I will say although it is moisturizing my hair does dry out a bit quickly, so I supplement by massaging small amounts of oil in the ends and body throughout the week. I am ecstatic with these entirely plant based bottles of joy.

For the last two years I have been growing my hair out to donate it to Locks of Love and I am cutting and sending it next week. I will be washing my hair with my own shampoo and conditioner and asking the stylist to wet it down rather than a salon wash and rinse. Like I am with all releases--I am looking forward to what new elements this may bring into my life.




No comments: