Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Day 70 Juice Feast -- Advice from My Uncle

This weekend I had a nice chat with my uncle.  He asked me: What are you doing for fun? I was surprised by his question and gave a half response. I made an assumption that like many people in the DC area he was bringing up the topic because he wanted to tell me what he was doing--even though the question and his response were highly uncharacteristic of him. Plus he is nowhere near DC and insisted on knowing if I speak like "an Easterner." No, sir.

I think I've been in the DC area long enough to be affected in that I am consistently looking for motives--not in a paranoid manner but more of a bottom line fashion, mostly so I know how to address the question. Did I really question my uncle's motive? That was dumb.

Recently I felt maneuvered by someone who is smarter than me (I'm not sure which of these two things--at the time--ticked me off the most) when I took personal responsibility and realized I was bothered by these ridiculous and petty thoughts I started laughing at myself. So what if I don't understand a motive. I found something infinitely more wise in the advice from my uncle.

After my half response my uncle immediately disregarded my response and asked me again: What are you doing for fun? I answered him.

He told me if he could do it all over again he would work less and have more fun.

Work less and have more fun? Yes, sir.

Joie de Vivre (Eduard von Grützner's)



No comments: