Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Day 7 Juice Feast -- How Quickly the Day Passes

Yesterday I thought a little deeper about what it means to age and today a free Coursera course comes to my attention on global aging--I love it! I've signed up although I may only audit the course (I'm forever a student at heart and sometimes I over extend my schedule trying to saturate myself in wisdom). If you're interested see here and check out the brief introduction to the course.

                                                          (Video)
Today went smoothly enough, if busy. There are only so many hours in the day of a juice feaster! I spent my lunch produce shopping and I'm almost out the door to run a few errands and stop by the library to pick up a couple of books. I've been using the library fairly regularly lately. One reason I love the library is I already have so many books it's slightly embarrassing. Also I like to check out books from the library on health topics like Norm Shealy (cute! cute! cute!), and Sara Gottfried's new book on hormone health because libraries operate on popularity. If books like these are checked out and the demand goes up, the library allocates more resources to stock the library with useful, health sustaining information. I was stunned but delighted last week when I saw a copy of Gabriel Cousen's Conscious Eating in my local library. I wish better information like this was around when I was cruising the stacks when I started out.

I've drunk 3 quarts of juice today and the 4th is sitting there staring me in the eye (ok not really, but it is sitting there). I am a slow metabolizer so it's been a focused effort to get all 4 quarts in me. I am simply not hungry. The juice is particularly important to me in the morning although it's more to stabilize me rather than satiate any hunger. As I thought about it, in part, it's likely because I'm not exercising enough. I like to take long walks at lunch but the rainy weather is difficult to walk in when I have to go back to work. I'm hoping when I wiggle in some exercise my appetite for the 4th or even 5th quart will be more appealing. Right now I'm aware of the issue and letting it go.

My favorite new juice to date? Leaf lettuce, (hard) pear, lemon and ginger. Unbelievable!

No comments: